Sunday, January 11, 2015

What a Great Day!

Last week, I had one of the worst days of my teaching career. I was pushed by a student and my lesson was once again ripped apart. The principal rated my lesson and found everything developing and ineffective. The only effective I got was in classroom management.

I was told I do not have mastery of my subject matter as well as pedagogy. I also, according to her, do not know my students.

All this at the beginning of my day.

Period three, the students were completely out of control. They all came in as if they were out for recess. Then, a student who had never shown to my class decided to grace me with his presence. He first went off on my co teacher and then, saw two of his "besties" and they all came together like magnets. They began to high five each other, throw gang signs, and make some very weird noises.

This began a series of events that completely created chaos in the room. Mind you, there were three adults in the room and we could not get a handle on the situation.

I approached one student and tried to speak to him and he decided to tell me to "get the fuck out of my face." As if I was made out of steel, i continued to try and settle him down and he, once again told me to get the fuck out of his face.

I asked him to step outside so I could deal with him in private. He got up and walked out of the room and then just kept on walking.

I turned back into the room to continue to manage the room. I approached another student with whom I have never had an issue with. He, seeing that everyone was pretty much getting away with their disruptive behavior, decided to follow along and he too told me to get the fuck out of his face.

The next thing I know, the student stood up and came about two inches away from me. the student also towers over me so he was looking down at me.

His next directive was, "get the fuck out of my way."

I stood still; didn't move. I felt my face turning red as well as a warmth flushing my cheeks.

Once again, he said, "get the fuck out of my way."

When I didn't move he pushed through me, elbowing me in the process.

He turned around and walked out of the room.

All of this, and a lot more that I won't get into, happened last Tuesday. The student was in school the next day, and the next day, and the next. He was told to not go to my class. Friday, the parent came in, and without my presence had a meeting with the principal and AP. I was informed of this during my prep on Friday. At this time< I was also informed that Monday morning, the student, guidance counselor, AP, and myself would be meeting at 8 o'clock.

I have no idea what was discussed at the parent meeting nor do I have the slightest idea what we will discuss tomorrow. What I do know is that there were no consequences for the student or any of the students I wrote up that Tuesday.

Just another day at a Bronx High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment