Sunday, January 25, 2015

Common Core

Now I understand why it is that the PBA and other city unions fought for fair and equitable contracts. They waited it out till they received what they deserve.

The UFT fell for it very quickly and Michael Mulgrew made it a point to instill fear so that the contract would be ratified by the majority of teachers, even when most knew that we were getting the short end of the straw.

It was the Common Core mentality that we have been indoctrinated for the past several years. Look at the next example:


Mulgrew is a big advocate of the Common Core which basically, in its quest to increase critical thinking has made simple math look like a puzzle from the New York Times.

I am not a math teacher but what  I do know is that the increases we will be receiving in no way will match the cost of living in 2020. We were short changed in ways that the union blatantly accepted because they will continue to receive their fat checks as we speak.

Now, I say this in jest, not really but think about, why? Why is it that teachers who are creating the future of tomorrow are treated like second class citizens? Why is it that after three degrees, I am still considered substandard according to the new evaluation system?

My principal who did nothing to support us when it came to Danielson, rated me as Developing. It was only after the test scores came in that the students who took the local exams passed, that I received Effective. Then the state exams results came in and I was found Highly Effective.

Morale is the lowest since I began as a teacher. And it is not just me! It is every teacher who has seniority and is making the top salary. Hell, I worked for that! It's taking me 27 years to get there. Cops hit top pay at five, and trust me, I take nothing away from them. They protect us and keep us safe. But, teachers go through it too. Last week, I was pushed by a student and verbally attacked by another.

The new chancellor regs now stipulate that unless there is an immediate threat we are not to remove students. Well, both were back in the classroom: one the same period, the other three days later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment