Saturday, January 31, 2015

Danielson

One of the many reasons I started this blog was to let everyone know about the inequities that are occurring in NYC public schools on a daily basis. But, one of the major reasons was to share my experience in the system.

Those of you who have been following my blog know that I have been teaching for 27 years and that it wasn't till I came to work at my present school, four years ago, that I had ever been given an unsatisfactory rating on a classroom observation.

That all changed. Since my tenure in this school, I have been harassed, yelled at, called incompetent, and literally made to feel like a failure on a daily basis. All this while the principal smiled at me. I have grieved. I have written the chancellor several times and have had no response. I have written several superintendents, all to no avail.

When Danielson was all but a rumor, this principal began rating our lessons using the rubric and telling us how to write our lesson plans, which components she wanted included and if any were missing, it was an unsatisfactory lesson.

One day, just to prove a point, she walked in  and I performed a lesson that the AP had observed and rated satisfactory. It was on elements of fiction so I switched the element for that lesson. She rated it unsatisfactory. When I showed her the satisfactory lesson she responded, "Well, I don't know what he saw that would make this a satisfactory lesson." By the way, the AP was sitting right next to her.

Last year when Danielson was finally instituted, I received many ineffective and developing ratings according to her interpretation of the rubric. She went as far as to tell me that I did not know my students. And, even better than that, "You have knowledge of your content area."
I was humiliated!


On a daily basis, I work with English language learners who are new to the country, as well as learning and emotionally disabled students. Sometimes several students fall into all these categories at the same time. I worked without the support of an experienced special educator or at least a paraprofessional who could help when I had to differentiate instruction. When I asked her why this was the case she said that the special education teachers needed to be in the classrooms that ended on a state test. I didn't need one because the English regents doesn't happen till junior year. I was appalled.

At the end of the year, after all the tallying and the Danielson equation was computed, I received a rating of developing. I cried all the way home that day.

From Developing to Effective
Teachers work with the least amount of resources and yet are expected to work miracles. Well, I guess I did because after all was said and done, my final rating was effective. Part of the evaluation equation is student success on their tests. I was connected to what is called a MOSL, measure of student learning. All of my students exceeded expectations. Part of my connection was also the state English regents and the majority of the students passed. I had been their teacher two years prior so I had a hand in their success.

This evaluation system makes no sense and what Cuomo wants is even more nonsensical. I think Diane Ravitch said it best when she said, "...excellent teachers will be rated ineffective because they teach slow learners, and mediocre teachers may get high ratings because they teach in wealthy districts. Many teachers who are rated ineffective one year may be rated effective the next."

I know I am a Highly Effective teacher. If not, I would not have the relationships I have established with students who have graduated or with the parents who thank me for their child's progress. I know I am Highly Effective despite Danielson saying otherwise. My principal chooses who she deems effective and also discriminates against those of us who have experience (ARE OLD) and who she cannot manipulate.



No comments:

Post a Comment