Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A New Beginning

When I started this blog, it was to show the bullying,  micromanagement, intimidation, and lack of professionalism and respect that the principal and assistant principal exhibited while I worked at their school. I'm putting this mildly and that is only a partial list of the four years that I spent there that ultimately lead to my excess and becoming an ATR. Those of you who follow my blog know the details of what I call the worst years of my teaching career.

I spent four months in the ATR pool and was shuffled from school to school winding up wherever the DOE wanted to place me. I had heard atrocities regarding the treatment of ATRs,  so I watched everything, trusted no one, and made sure that nothing I did could be called into question if in fact what I was told was true. Yet, the experience, while stressful, was not by any means what I had heard it would be. In fact, I was told to be careful with  my assigned supervisor and, because I am blessed, my supervisor turned out to be just fine.

Every day, I woke up wondering what my day would be like but not once did I dread getting up in the morning to go to work. I had come from hell and this assignment gave me back my confidence and made me feel good about myself, something that for four years I had lost.

In December,  2015, I received an email from a school in  district 79 asking me if I would be interested in interviewing. I gave it a shot and was pretty much hired on the spot. I'm sure they were in dire need but be it as it may, I am glad that I chose to work at the school.

Since January, when I began at the school,  I have received nothing but respect and I enjoy working there. The principal is floating from school to school so I see her maybe once a week. The person in charge is the assistant principal who has been an essential part of my recovery. Yes, recovery because my former principal broke me and I had not realized the extent of the damage.

This AP has given me nothing but support and has lent a shoulder to cry on. She is straightforward in her recommendations and gives concrete suggestions to fulfill her recommendations. In her own words, one day she said, "I rescued you" after I made a comment regarding an interviewee who she called her latest victim.

The place is not without faults. I would be lying if I said it was perfect.  After all,  I am working in a correctional facility.  Yet, I feel at home, comfortable, and supported. I am trying to teach kids who have been placed there due to their criminal activity and school doesn't really mean anything to them. I am still trying to get some of them to buy into what I'm selling and ELA  is not anything they want to purchase.

I have my work cut out for me but I do not have people who are trying to make me feel inept and ineffective. I am treated as what I am: a teacher who is new to this particular scenario who simply has to learn the ropes and take her immense experience and knowledge and apply it to a new audience. I am no longer being told that I am not a good teacher and that I should consider moving on. On the contrary, I have been offered an opportunity to coach the ELA teachers in the district. This administration actually has seen my value and want to capitalize on it.

All I can say is, thank you Lord for this blessing.  Thank you for bringing me out of the dreadful situation I was in and placing me where I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment