Tuesday, September 15, 2015

It Can Happen to You

Being that I am now an ATR, I've actually contemplated changing the blog's name. I mean "A Day in the Life of a NYC Teacher"  doesn't seem to be truthful considering the menial tasks I have been performing this school year.

But, I'm not. I'm still a teacher and I will not let this ATR business bring me down. I'm scheduled to be at the present site till October 16th, unless the powers that be make a change.

Every day last week, I entered the school with my head held high. I made eye contact with everyone that passed by me. I smiled at the students and made small talk. It wasn't as bad as some other ATRs have it.

Sure, the first day I spent it on the phone making calls to parents regarding their kid's attendance. Then, the second and third day were spent handing out metro cards and on the fourth day, I was once again on the phone calling parents about a Meet and Greet tomorrow.

It could have been worse. No one thumbed their nose, no one stared me up and down. Well, actually, that's a lie. There is this woman, a dean I believe, who has yet to  smile back. But, I think she's just snooty, nothing to do with me.

It's a beautiful school filled with all the new technology. I was even pleasantly surprised when I was directed to the Teachers' Lounge.

I walked into an actual room with four walls and a door. The hole I came from had a space in the main office, about 8 by 8. It is divided from the main by a row of lockers. There is no privacy.

The present school has about 8 computers, Macs and Pcs. The hole had 3 Pcs that still ran Windows 98.

The present school has black, comfy couches and chairs, several tables for group planning as well as chairs at each computer. The school I came from had a small, round table and a total of 7 chairs.

I can go on but the gist is this school seems to value their teaching staff. Where I came from made the room happen because contractually they had to abide, not because anyone cared. There are several underutilized rooms that could have been used as a Teachers' Lounge.

I do not know what is ahead for me in this ATR journey. Yesterday I checked my DOE email and found two mandatory interviews for this Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately, since I am presently appointed as a 7-9 English teacher, both are in Middle Schools. I want to continue my career in a High School.

I don't know how to go about doing this.....

All I'm sure of right this very minute is that I do not deserve this. I have devoted my life since the age of 21 to teaching. I am a caring and fair person and none of my actions throughout the years led to this.

One piece of advice to anyone who reads my story: It can happen to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment